Sunday, September 1, 2019

Desa Kincaid: Bounty Hunter, a review


When I was contacted to review Desa Kincaid: Bounty Hunter by R.S. Penney, I almost declined. Almost. Because it wasn’t romance or anything like my usual read. But the summary I was sent sounded so enticing, I had to give it a shot. Fantasy/Western? I’m a Firefly fan, so I can get behind this. I thought I knew what I was getting into…

Let me start by saying this will be spoiler free! I want all of you to follow the story for yourself, so, if you’re interested, there are links to the book as well as the author’s twitter at the end.

The description I was given is as follows: Desa Kincaid has spent the last ten years in pursuit of a man whose experiments have killed over a dozen people. Blessed with the power to transform ordinary objects into devastating weapons, she journeys through trading ports, backwater towns, forests, deserts and the haunted remains of a dead city. But can she stop her enemy before he unleashes something terrible on the world?

Now, I’ll try to be brief and not give too much away and I want you all to know that this is my completely honest opinion. This. Book. Was. Amazing! I don’t like to read outside of my preferred genres, and it usually ends badly when I do. This was a rare exception.

First of all, the book was wonderfully formatted. Not important to some, I know, but it’s a big deal for me. The action scenes are superb, the changes in point of view are handled well, and it has a compelling and immersive story line.

Vivid descriptions take you right into their world and there is a constant, looming sense of danger that keeps you turning the page. The ‘magic’ system is awesome, with its power being energy based and limited. There is diversity in the characters and LGBTQ+ representation, which is important.

The characters are all great. You have Desa, with her no-nonsense approach to whatever life throws at her. She truly is an inspiration. But my favorite character had to be Lommy-I mean, Tommy. He is flawed and relatable and goes through some interesting development. I can’t wait to see what else is in store for him!

All I can say in the end is that Desa Kincaid: Bounty Hunter is a fantastic read and I cannot wait for the series to continue. If you want to read it for yourself (which I highly recommend), you can find it here at  https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07PFB635W. And don’t forget to give the author some love by following him here https://twitter.com/keeperssaga. I plan on doing more reviews soon, so stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Romance Tropes: One Bed

Welcome to a new series where I break down classic romance tropes and give my opinions. First up is a well-known and well-loved trope: “Ther...