Sunday, February 9, 2020

Post-Publication Syndrome

Writing is hard. This had been said often and by many people. It’s also stressful, but if you love it, you can usually handle it. But what happens when you’ve finished and published a book? What is the next step as an author?

Well, I continued to write after querying The Devil’s Maverick. I thought it would be good to get a step ahead and have something to submit if this one didn’t work out. (I would highly recommend all writers do this!)

Over the past week since The Devil’s Maverick has been released, I find myself in a strange limbo. I’m motivated to keep writing, but also need to prep my other manuscripts for submission. I have to market The Devil’s Maverick, but I’m not prepared  to do that now that it’s out. The bubble has burst, and I am now experiencing post-publication syndrome.

This is not uncommon and it is not necessarily a bad thing. As I said, I’m extremely motivated and continuing to work. I just have this odd mindset of, “Can I do it again?”

I suppose it still hard for me to believe I’m published and I’m not sure I can provide quality books. Maybe it’s a fear of rejection or criticism. PPS is similar to impostor syndrome, but not (in my opinion) quite as taxing. It’s just something else that we as writers have to push through.

I guess if I had to give any advice it would be to know your worth and realize that, published or not, your story deserves to be heard. Pour your heart and soul into your writing or job or whatever you want and, even when it feels surreal and impossible, you have to keep going.

That’s all I have for you this week. I hope this helped in some way and, please, if you’re experiencing something similar, let me know!

One more note before I leave, if you have commented on any of my posts and I haven’t responded, I am sorry! There’s something wrong with blogger where it won’t allow me to reply. Just know that I’m working to fix this issue, I do see your comments, and I really appreciate it J

No comments:

Post a Comment

Romance Tropes: One Bed

Welcome to a new series where I break down classic romance tropes and give my opinions. First up is a well-known and well-loved trope: “Ther...