Monday, December 2, 2019

My 2019 NaNoWriMo


Shoot me now; I didn’t participate in NaNoWriMo this year…technically!

I love NaNoWriMo. I think that it’s a wonderful challenge that all authors should experience at some point. It might be frustrating and irritating and a looming monster that breathes down your neck every time you open your laptop. Or it could be a refreshing reminder and the perfect motivation you need to write that novel.

Either way, I vouch for NaNoWriMo 100%! However, I did not write a single word this month. Okay, I wrote a little, but not towards a challenge goal! After completing my third manuscript in October, I thought it was time for a break and some quality reading time. Still, I knew I would have to do something, so I decided to help other.

I work at my local library and thought it would be really cool if we did a writing event for November. So, I threw together some ads and a signup sheet and started planning my lessons. The plan was to have attendees set goals and come to weekly meetings that would serve as motivators and teach a little something.

We had six people sign up, but the classes averaged around three people. Which was great for me because I am a terrible speaker! It was nice to have one-on-one, casual discussions about writing. Even Leyna Paige showed up to share a lesson of her own. I plan to do this every year, and I know next year will be even better, but this year was amazing!

I loved getting to know these people, learning how they write and what they were writing about. I’ve written a book in a month before, but it’s interesting to see others go through that same process in their own way. Watching them discover how best to write their ideas and enjoying it in the process is the greatest thing ever.

Yesterday was the You Survived! Party, where we all had discussions and handed out prizes. It was fantastic to see how far everyone had come and I can’t wait to help them on the road to publication.

I’ll be doing this again next year. I know I’ll do better next time. Helping fellow writers fulfill their dreams, if only a little, is such an inspiration and I cannot wait to do it all over again.

1 comment:

  1. You were awesome! It was a great experience. Now, to edit and get some ideas for next year. 😃

    ReplyDelete

Romance Tropes: One Bed

Welcome to a new series where I break down classic romance tropes and give my opinions. First up is a well-known and well-loved trope: “Ther...