Sunday, July 19, 2020

RoseBlood, A Review...

If you know me, then you’ll know that I’m a huge fan of The Phantom of the Opera. Movies, musicals, books and sequels- I’m there. So, when I came across RoseBlood by AG Howard, I knew I had to read it. The cover, first of all, is absolutely gorgeous. And the pages? Every word and image in this book is printed in crimson ink and it makes my heart hurt in the best way. As for how the book is…

(Summary from GoodReads)

In this modern day spin on Leroux's gothic tale of unrequited love turned to madness, seventeen-year-old Rune Germain has a mysterious affliction linked to her operatic talent, and a horrifying mistake she's trying to hide. Hoping creative direction will help her, Rune's mother sends her to a French arts conservatory for her senior year, located in an opera house rumored to have ties to The Phantom of the Opera.

At RoseBlood, Rune secretly befriends the masked Thorn- an elusive violinist who not only guides her musical transformation through dreams that seem more real than reality itself, but somehow knows who she is behind her own masks. As the two discover an otherworldly connection and a soul-deep romance blossoms, Thorn's dark agenda comes to light and he's forced to make a deadly choice: lead Rune to her destruction, or face the wrath of the phantom who has haunted the opera house for a century, and is the only father he's ever known/

This book is, in my humble opinion, the best tribute to Phantom of the Opera you can find. It’s dark, melodramatic, and exists in a world alongside the fictional media.

When I started reading, I couldn’t figure out how it would work. How can a character exist in such a world without it being complicated or meta? Well, it was a little meta, but done with such a twist that it didn’t really matter.

The romance took a little while to get going, but once it did it was heavenly.

I don’t usually traverse into YA. I gave it up in high school. But this was a refreshing change of pace and opened up my imagination. Though Thorn will never replace Erik for me, I loved seeing my Phantom still plagued with darkness and having someone similar to him for company.

You can purchase your own copy here:

https://www.amazon.com/RoseBlood-G-Howard/dp/1419719092/ref=tmm_hrd_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=&sr=


No comments:

Post a Comment

Romance Tropes: One Bed

Welcome to a new series where I break down classic romance tropes and give my opinions. First up is a well-known and well-loved trope: “Ther...