Saturday, October 17, 2020

Like My Mother Before Me, A Review...

Hello, lovelies! I’m here a little early to share my review of the novel Like My Mother Before Me by Naley Gonzalez. Spoiler alert: I loved this book! Other than that, I’ll try my best to avoid spoilers.

I’ve been a fan of Naley’s for some time and, when I signed up to become an ARC reader, I was hopeful. It wasn’t long before I had my very own copy downloaded to my Nook and ready to go. I was honored to be among those chosen and, having just finished reading yesterday, I wanted to share my thoughts and opinions.

Firstly, here’s the blurb to give you an idea of this New Adult novel:

(Summary from Naley Gonzalez's website)

Spoiled and self-centered daddy's girl Alizé Salvas spends her time texting with friends, cutting class to get high, and playing volleyball.

When Alizé witnesses a horrifying sight of a skeletal woman vanishing from her father’s study, she's certain she's losing her mind. She quickly goes into denial, but her avoidance only makes things worse. Now, plagued by horrible visions and other unwelcome specters, Alizé finds her world spiraling out of control—effecting the lives of the people closest to her.

Pursued by a personal demon, she must overcome her selfish habits and embrace the truth about her family's past, and herself, or suffer the same fate as her mother.

 

Now for my thoughts.

The story as a whole was solid. There was enough happening outside of the main plot to invest me in the characters and their lives, as well as watching them deal with real-world problems alongside this monster and confusion. It made the story a little more real and added a depth of emotion that I appreciated.

The characters themselves were supremely written, with their own personalities and reasonings. Alizé was a relatable, ordinary girl trying to achieve her dreams who was treated unfairly at times. I felt myself being frustrated with her, being elated with her, just feeling everything she felt as she tried to come to terms with the drastic changes in her life.

Veronica was beautiful in her otherworldly form, there’s no other way to describe her. I wasn’t sure how to feel about Martin at first, but I fell for him even with his persistence. Ezra and Estelle felt very real with the things they dealt with and, though they weren’t exactly main characters, I loved their parts in the story. Zoraida was my favorite character and that’s all I’m going to say about that!

The monster was terrifying, absolutely horrific. I swear I’ll be having nightmares about this thing. Aside from that, I loved the use of Spanish, the Latin culture, and all of the food mentioned that sounded delicious!

All in all, I would highly recommend this book. While I was reading, I could see the story playing in my head like a movie, and for me that’s the best it can get. I received an eBook ARC, but I fully intend to get a physical copy for my shelves.

You can find links to Like My Mother Before Me and Naley Gonzalez’s social media below!

 

Love always,

Lori Fayre

 

Preorder LMMBM: https://www.naleygonzalez.com/likemymotherbeforeme

Website: https://www.naleygonzalez.com/

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/naleygonzalez/

Twitter: https://twitter.com/naleygonzalez

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/AuthorNaleyGonzalez/

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCawSppswttLyZ0WNRKs8Tnw

No comments:

Post a Comment

Romance Tropes: One Bed

Welcome to a new series where I break down classic romance tropes and give my opinions. First up is a well-known and well-loved trope: “Ther...