Sunday, September 22, 2019

More Than a Beta!


As authors, I’m sure you all have beta readers and critique partners. As non-authors who might not be familiar with these terms, let me fill you in. For me, a critique partner is someone who reads your early drafts, letting you know what wrong with your story early on. Beta readers get to it after your ‘done’ and give more advice, usually of the editorial variety. They can also just let you know if it’s good or not!

Now, these aren’t official descriptions, just the way I’ve been using the terms. It could differ (and probably does), but that’s not the point of this post. This time, I will be explaining how I utilize these tools.

My go-to beta, Leyna Paige, is also my critique partner. She’s wonderful and she is the only critique partner I’ll have! But I have several betas, all in different demographics to get the most range. I like to use honest people close to me but have sent it to fellow author friends from the internet.

Beta’s are important! They can serve as you extra sets of eyes, they can become your street team, and they can become your closest friends. If you can send your dumpster fire first draft to someone and have them lovingly tell you how to fix it without both if you ending with an argument, that’s something special. So, thank you to all the beta readers and critique partners!

Sorry for all the short posts lately. My husband and I are in the process of moving and I am also working hard to get The Devil’s Maverick promos prepared. There’s a lot going on, so I will not be posting next weekend. Keep an eye on my Twitter (click the picture to your right to access that) to find out when I’ll be back! Until then, lovelies!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Romance Tropes: One Bed

Welcome to a new series where I break down classic romance tropes and give my opinions. First up is a well-known and well-loved trope: “Ther...