Sunday, October 13, 2019

When the Going Gets Tough...


“You know what they say. When the going gets tough, the tough get… Well, I don’t know what the tough do. I don’t know what the pirates do, I don’t know what anyone does!” 
-Joan Wilder, Romance Author Extraordinaire

It’s easy to burn out when you’re writing. Sometimes words are stubborn and don’t want to get on the page. And that’s fine! It could be your brain’s way of telling you to take a break. Maybe you just need to read or watch something to refill your creative well.

I’ve talked about finding motivation before, but now let’s talk about finding inspiration. I’ll set the scene:
It’s your day off. The house is clean, the kids are occupied, and you have the next few hours to yourself. You can’t wait to write! You sit down in front of your computer, a hot cup of tea/coffee by your side, and you are so ready to write this next chapter. Then, nothing happens. You stare at the screen, your thoughts frozen with seemingly no way to break them out. What do you do?

Okay, first of all, I would recommend stepping away from the computer. I find that trying to force the words out can do more harm than good. Step back and take a few deep breaths. Many people like to call this predicament writer’s block (which I don’t really believe in), but I call it lack of inspiration.

If you’re a hardcore planner like I am, you’re not blocked. You know what happens next, right? You have some idea? Then put yourself into the story. Play music that you associate with it. Put on a show or movie in the background that is related to what you’re writing. Do research relevant to what you’re writing about.

You could also go with the break. Taking a walk, a shower, a nap. Just because you have time to write doesn’t mean that’s all you should do. I’m a huge fan of writing every day, and it will always be my go-to advice. But, I’m also a fan of taking a break when you need it.

Sorry in advance to all those pantsers out there. I can’t offer any advice for you guys.
I hope this helps in some way!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Romance Tropes: One Bed

Welcome to a new series where I break down classic romance tropes and give my opinions. First up is a well-known and well-loved trope: “Ther...